Go Where the Love Is
The T. Barnes global summer camp was created to give American children of the African diaspora the experience of living in a black nation. Ninety percent of Anguilla’s population, government officials and business owners are of African descent. This experience of being immersed in a society where Blackness is celebrated and normalized not only gives students a sense of community, but positive representations of themselves. We hope the summer camp offers a solid historical foundation around African and African diaspora history, while preparing the next generation with the necessary agricultural skills and entrepreneurship goals.
What are we looking for?
- 10 students ages 12 – 17 with the following qualifications:
- Vast extracurricular activities and involvement in their community
- Trustworthy for global travel
- A sense of enthusiasm and adventure
- Curiosity about culture and self-identity
- Most importantly, a passion for learning and personal growth
What will our days look like?
- 7:00 am – Wake up and shower
- 8:00 am – Breakfast at Paradise Cove
- 9:00 am – Global Awareness Workshop leaded by TaNesha Barnes
- 10:00am -1:00pm – Depart to Sensational Flavors and learn the fundamentals of farming
- 1:00pm – Lunch
- 2:00pm – 5:00pm – Field Trip of the day
- 5:00pm -7:00pm – Beach Crawl
- 7:00pm – Dinner
- 8:00pm – Meet by the pool, summer reading and recap the day.
- 9:00pm- Lights Out
- Tour of University of West Indies
- Meeting with the Police Department
- Lunch with Government Officials
- Caribbean Music and Dance classes
- Meet and Greet with DJs of the Island
- Customs / Immigrations
- Hotel/ Resort Tours